Tuesday, March 26, 2013

First Day at the MTC

Hola Familia y Amigos !                                                                                                3/20/13
     It's 10 p.m. and we get to write a letter home the first day.  No email until Monday, because that's my P-day.  It has been a long and busy day.  But way less stressful and intimidating than what i Expected, so that's good.  It's helpful that I am not alone - I am actually in a trio with dos otros hermanas (2 other sisters for you gringos).  Hermana Shaumann from Nashville and Hermana Johnson from Sandy, Utah.  Hermana Johnson is going to Malaga (like me) and Hermana Shaumann is going to Madrid.  And we have the 6 person bedroom to ourselves which is muy bien ! (very good).  Hermana Johnson actually lived in Santiago for a year because her father is in the 1st Quorum of the 70.  Cool huh?  After I was dropped off they just herd you through to lots of places quickly and everyone is really nice and keeps asking if you are okay.  No crying for me !  I was actually surprised I didn't see one single person cry.  But I was pretty overwhelmed and it felt surreal.  All day I kept looking at my name tag and saying "we are real missionaries! Weird!"
   Then my host took me to class (my district) which has 4 other Elders and us.  Our teachers only spoke in Spanish so that was an expected shock.  But I understood a lot which was good.  Not that I offered to speak up and answer questions yet.  But our teacher Hermano Beesley was funny and nice, so the laughing helped ease my anxiety.  We also had a "teaching experience" around 7 p.m.  It was like a rotating workshop where a group of like 100 of us observed a lesson and then they had us as a group chime in to help teach.  The investigators were amazing actors and it really helped for me to see what others did wrong/right.  Oh and I saw my good friend Carolyn Carter, who is going to France Lyon, today so that was a lovely surprise!
   I am doing fine, I am still me, and will take it one step at a time.  Pray for me and send me mail.  Also, they don't have hangers or blow dryers ! ! Ahg!  Anyway, I love you all and thanks Mom for putting up with me today.  Love, Hermana Thompson
Final Goodbyes...
 Andrea & Mom
 Ashley, Andrea & Mom
Cousins (Sharsten & Andrea)

No comments: