Tuesday, March 26, 2013

My 1st P- Day (March 25, 2013)


Hola Familia!
 
There is so much to tell you! I don't even know where to begin. I sent a letter home from the first day but you probably won't get it until today anyway because I didn't even have time to mail it until like a day and a half later. We have so much to do every second I don't even have time to close my eyes or sit on my bed. So I won't write about the first day here and will trust that Mom or Dad can type it up and post it on my blog so you all can read it. Today is P-Day obviously and it is my favorite thing ever! But I only have 26 minutes left so I'll make this quick. Everyday here feels like a week. I can not believe it has only been about five days. I already feel like a different person. The MTC hasn't been as bad or as stressful as I thought it would be but it has been frustrating at times. Our class is intermediate so we are the most advanced at the language in our Zone but I still have so much more I need to know. All of my inadequecies, weaknesses, and lack of language skill has really come out. But you know what? I am really grateful for that. The unofficial theme since I have been here has been the atonement. I don't think we talk about it enough in the church. IT IS INCREDIBLE. I am amazed by how much love I feel for the savior and the Lord. I don't feel homesick at all and I haven't missed anything about the world yet. One of the favorite things I have been told about the MTC has to do with the role of the comforter. I am so grateful that I can't listen to music or take a drive to comfort myself because that makes me rely on the REAL comforter- the Holy Ghost. I just love thinking about it. I pray so much. And I wish I had more time to pray at night. I am also constantly crying here. And not for the usual reasons. But because I have felt the spirit so much and so often in the last few days that sometimes I feel like my heart my burst from the feelings. God knows exactly what I am feeling, what I need, and he answers all my prayers. It is just incredible how everything my teachers have said, and how every talk or devotional has felt like it was said exactly for me. My teachers are amazing and even though they don't actually instruct us that much they give me just enough guidance to help me realign my plans and put my priorities back in order.
 
Sunday was a Godsend. At night I was able to watch a MTC-specific devotional given by Elder Bednar last Christmas about the Character of Christ and now I feel like I need a whole new life plan haha. I knew I was selfish before my mission but that talk just made me feel it even more keenly. Christ is incredible. You parents and Bishops know what I am talking about. So I encourage everyone to turn outward and forget about yourself because that is exactly what I am striving to do. I've said it before but this work isn't about us, it is about being an instrument in God's hands and completely giving ourselves to Him. I really am living the law of consecration here. All I do is for the work. It is hard to get accustomed to the fact that we have absolutely no personal time (except for P-days) but I am grateful for it.
 
I have two companions (Hermanas Johnson & Shaumann) and we all get along really well, which I am soooo thankful for. And I love our district. Anytime we are away from them for a few minutes we already miss them. I am the oldest of my companionship and the second oldest in the district. There are only 8 of us (the rest are Elders). You know what the hardest habit has been to break? Saying the word "Guys". Oh man. It is so hard to avoid it. We are only allowed to say missionaries, Hermanas, or Elders. I have also had Nacho Libre stuck in my head since I have gotten here. Phil, you should appreciate that. My companions and I are constantly quoting it and singing the songs, it applies so well hahaha. ("I am worried about your salvation and stuff.")
 
8 minutes left! Ah! Okay, send me letters or Dear Elders more that emails because we get those twice a day and only see email once a week and it is timed. Also shout out to Sharsten for being my first letter in the MTC so far! Any words of encouragement or declarations of love are welcome ;)
 
Also I can't believe how much I miss the outdoors. We basically sit in a classroom until 9pm and all I see from the window is dead trees and buildings. Our temple walk on sunday was so great. Gosh I love sundays here. I want so much to be able to express my feelings when I teach in Spanish but I lack the words, so I am trying to work on opening my mouth anyway even when I think I can't say it. But my companions are much more fluet and ready with the words. We have already taught two lessons in Spanish to our "investigator" and they went pretty well but it is hard for me to get a word in so that is frustrating. But I do love being here. I am going to send this and try to attach pictures in a second.
 
 Companions- Hermana Schaumann & Johnson
(we love seeing Andrea with her name tag)
 Provo Temple....
 ~~My District~~

No comments: